Located in northeast of Sikkim, Lachung is a small hill station. It is at an elevation of about 9,600 feet and is around 125km away from Gangtok.
Recently a friend of mine was on a work visit to Lachung which brought back all the beautiful memories of my wonderful stay in this mountain village. Lachung was the last leg of our honeymoon trip after Darjeeling and Gangtok. It took around 3 hours’ drive from Gangtok city to Lachung. And let me tell you the drive wasn’t very easy one as the road construction isn’t great and plus drive to the hills is always tricky. Apart from the roads, I was delighted to see remnants of snow on the sides of the road. It was everywhere. There was no snow fall, though till then. The moment we had reached our hotel it started snowing a bit and it was chilly cold. After checking in, we asked the bell boy whether the hotel has been running full, and he replied saying we were the only tourist in his hotel. Hearing this we were a little scared about our safety. The temperature was going down by the night, the heater in the room helped us to survive – 10 degrees Celsius.
As I woke up early in the morning with a wish to see the sunrise, what do I get to see?? Snowwwww!! The whole area was covered with snow and the view was mesmerizing. This was the first time I had seen snow and I just can’t express in words of how surreal the entire view was.
We decided to step out and go to the zero point in Lauchung. Zero Point or Yumesamdong is the place where three rivers meet with surrounding snow-clad mountains, offering marvelous scenic views. On our way to zero point we also spotted several yaks. When we reached the zero point, the view is breath taking. Trust me you won’t find any place more pristine and beautiful than this one.
Quick guide of my north east travel:
- This was a week’s trip. From Delhi we took a flight for Bagdogra. From here, we left for Darjeeling which is around 3 – 4 hours’ drive.
- We stayed in Summit Grace Resort and spa –our stay was beautiful here (both accommodation and food is worth it). This hotel has clear views of Kanchenjunga Mountains and its heavenly!
- On day 2 in Darjeeling, we went to the Tiger Hill to see the sunrise from the snowcapped mountains. You have to visit here if you are in Darjeeling!
- We then saw Ghoom monastery, Japanese Peace pagoda, Tibetan Buddhist monastery and Batasia loop.
- Day 3 – drove fromDarjeeling to Gangtok 98 kms/ 4 Hrs approx. We stayed in Summit Ttakshang Residency
- Afternoon was spent in sightseeing at Gangtok visiting Banjhakri Waterfalls, Do Drul Chorten (Stupa), Flower Show.
- On day 4 we saw – Hanuman Tok, Rumtek Monastery (must visit), Phodong monastery, Bakhtang falls and Enchey monastery.
- Do go for some shopping experience on MG road in Gangtok, it is quite clean and well maintained. You have to try the momos there, they are simply yum !
- On day 5 – our whole day was spent in Yumthang valley (must visit) and in the evening we left for Lachung.
- On day 6 – we left for zero point and explored Lachung.
- On day 7 – we finally took a flight from Bagdogra to Delhi.
Our North east trip was an experience in itself. Gangtok, Darjeeling and Lachung is a great combination of places to plan your holiday. Specially for the mountain lovers, this is a dream destination.So go ahead and plan a trip to north east soon, hope this blog helps!